The Practical Farmers of Iowa offers beginning farmers in need of on-farm experience and mentorship the opportunity to apply to work on an experienced “PFI Trainer” farm in Iowa. The 10 “Trainer” farms are located across Iowa and represent a range of diverse crop and livestock enterprises.
Trainees will also receive:
- On-the-job training earning at least $8/hour
- 1-2 hours of each week discussing financial and business details with the trainer (i.e. how the farm is financed, how to generate a profit)
- Paid time off to attend a PFI event
- PFI Annual Conference 2014 discount and free homestay lodging during the conference with a PFI member
- A special “Spring Training” Farminar Series in April 2013 to connect with other “PFI Trainees”
To review the “Trainer” farms, click here. Apply directly using the information on the website by February 15th.
If you are a farmer, farm manager, or farm educator with a passion for mentoring new farmers, deepen your mentorship skills at an upcoming full-day workshop called “Mapping the Mentor’s Journey.” Experienced mentors Tim Drake and Jed Jordan and leadership coach Corinne Eisenman will lead hands-on exercises and conversations that examine farm education through the eyes of a mentor. Participants will take away new tools and a renewed passion for educating aspiring farmers and managing farm staff.
This all-day workshops takes place Sunday, February 10th in Ithaca, NY. Space is limited, so please RSVP by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with answers to two of these three questions:
- What skills would you like to share with other individuals wanting to start a farm?
- What experiences inspired you to pursue your farming dreams?
- How do you believe you can contribute lasting change to your community as a farmer?
The workshop is a collaboration between Primitive Pursuits, which fosters life-long connections with nature, and Groundswell Center for Local Food & Farming, dedicated to nurturing the next generation of farmers.