The International Institute for the Unification of Private Law (UNIDROIT), United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) just released an important new publication, Legal Guide on Contract Farming.
Divided into seven sections, the 250-page guide provides in-depth legal guidance on all aspects of the contract process, based on internationally accepted standards of practice. Sections include:
- The legal framework for contract farming
- Defining the parties in a contract
- Setting the contractual obligations of each party
- Clarifying excuses for non-performance of contract duties
- Addressing outright breaches of a contract
- Establishing the duration, renewal and termination of a contract
- Resolving contract disputes
By sharing this information, the guide ultimately hopes to cultivate a contract farming environment that is equitable and sustainable for everyone involved. Download the guide here.