The Tilth Producers of Washington and the Washington Young Farmers Coalition invite specialty crop farmers to apply to host “Crop Mob” workshops. Workshops will provide an opportunity to join together and support a fellow grower, while learning valuable skills from experienced farmers. The goal is to provide a fun, educational experience for all participants while helping a grower complete a large project.
This is open to all Washington state farmers, with priority given to members of the Tilth Producers of Washington. Crop Mob / Workshop ideas must fit the specialty crop requirements but otherwise are flexible. Past sessions and ideas include:
- Infrastructure projects – hoop houses, green houses, fencing, netting, irrigation, moving compost or compost facilities, etc.
- Equipment projects – learning how to use machinery and/or implements; threshing, seed cleaning, etc.
- Pruning, planting seedlings or nursery stock, crop processing, etc.
- Integrated Pest Management (IPM) projects.
Tilth Producers and the WAYFC will provide:
- Experienced growers partnered with each workshop to provide knowledge and instruction;
- Logistical and organizational assistance, including planning, outreach and publicity, registration, and volunteer support. Host stipends are available.
- Help developing a work plan for approximately 15-25 volunteers with a range of skill levels (farmers and non-farmers).